Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the dates for the 'Christmas in July: Winter Wonderlights' event?
'Christmas in July: 'Winter Wonderlights' will run from 29 June - 21 July 2019.
2. What is the 'Christmas in July: Winter Wonderlights' event?
Find Sir Ginger getting up to mischief on Main Street. Watch flames erupt from the Sovereign Hill chimney.
Wander through fairy-lit laneways. Dance in the (faux) snow. Let our European street market tempt you.
3. Who can come?
Sovereign Hill’s 'Christmas in July: Winter Wonderlights' event is a magical experience for everyone – from individuals to the immediate or extended family and international tour groups.
4. What are the 'Christmas in July: Winter Wonderlights' event opening hours?
Sovereign Hill is extending its opening hours to include 'Winter Wonderlights' from 29 June - 21 July 2019. Sovereign Hill will be open from 10.00 am - 7.00 pm each day of the event.
5. What time do the 'Winter Wonderlights' start and finish?
'Winter Wonderlights' starts as soon as the sky is dark enough. We expect the 'Wonderlights' to run from approximately 5.45 pm each evening and finish at 7.00 pm.
6. What is the entry price for the 'Christmas in July: Winter Wonderlights' event?
Entry to the 'Christmas in July' event, and 'Winter Wonderlights', is included in the Sovereign Hill entry ticket. Tickets available soon.
Child (5-15) $27.80
Family 2a+4c $157.00
7. Does it cost extra to see the 'Winter Wonderlights'? OR I only want to visit the 'Wonderlights'. Is there a ticket just for that?
There is no separate ticket for the 'Winter Wonderlights' show. It is included in the Sovereign Hill entry ticket. (Remember that Sovereign Hill membership is great value-for-money. You would receive unlimited entry to Sovereign Hill, for a whole year, including 'Christmas in July: Winter Wonderlights'. For more information, click here. Plenty of free, on-site parking is available.
8. Sovereign Hill has a 2-days-for 1 offer Does that mean I can see the 'Winter Wonderlights' twice?
Take advantage of this great value offer* by having your ticket scanned as you enter Sovereign Hill:
• Entrance Ticket Box (Map 1)
• ‘Evening Experiences’ Bookings Desk (Map 1)
For more information, click here.
*Conditions apply. The free second day must be used over two consecutive days. Offer is not transferable. Photo ID required.
9. Will it be cold? What happens if it rains?
We recommend visitors dress for cooler temperatures. The average temperature in Ballarat during June/ July is 10 degrees celsius. We recommend you wrap yourself up in a scarf, beanie and mittens and enjoy the festive atmosphere! Sovereign Hill’s 'Christmas in July: Winter Wonderlights' event proceeds as usual, even if it rains – or snows!
10. Are pass-outs available?
Pass-outs are available if you wish to exit Sovereign Hill and return later that day to see the 'Wonderlights'. To re-enter Sovereign Hill, you must have received a pass-out before exiting. Pass-outs are available from the Information Desk at the Victoria Theatre, the Post Office in Main Street or the main Entrance.
11. Do I need cash?
Sovereign Hill has multiple ATM locations on-site and EFTPOS in all retail outlets.
12. Where can I buy the famous Raspberry Drops?
At Spencer's Sweet Shop (Map 14), Brown's Confectionery Factory (Map 27, open until 7.00 pm) and the Pop-Up Sweets Shop at the European Market. Raspberry Drops are also available from the Entrance Shop (Map 1) and the Gift Shop (Map 46) in the main car park.
13. Where can I buy a famous Hope Bakery Pies and Sausage rolls?
Visit the Hope Bakery (Map 11), John Alloo’s Restaurant (near Map 38), the Sovereign Hill Café (Map 18) or the Winter Wonderlights Marquee.
14. Where can I enjoy some Devonshire Tea?
The United States Hotel Dining Room will be serving traditional Devonshire Tea from 10.00 am until 2.00 pm. No bookings are required, but we recommend arriving early to avoid disappointment as seating is limited.
15. What is the sound-and-light show?
Sovereign Hill presents a sound-and-light show called ‘AURA’ every night throughout the year.
Please note that the sound-and-light show, ‘AURA’, is different to the 'Winter Wonderlights' evening event (as described in FAQ 2.).
Show and dinner times for AURA have been scheduled so that visitors may enjoy the 'Winter Wonderlights' prior to seeing the show.
During Christmas in July : Winter Wonderlights (29 June to 21 July, 2019), the sound-and-light show start times may vary slightly.
16. How long should I plan to spend at the 'Christmas in July: Winter Wonderlights event?
There’s a full day's program of activities including many theatre shows, ‘hands-on’ activities and 'faux' snowfalls as well as Sovereign Hill’s regular daily activities. We recommend visitors allow at least 4-5 hours during the day in addition to seeing the 'Winter Wonderlights' during the evening. There is unlimited free parking on-site.
17. Where is the free parking?
Unlimited free parking is located in the Sovereign Hill Entrance car park, at the Gold Museum (opposite Sovereign Hill) and in our Main Road car park. We also have flow-over car parking on nearby Larter street. Park your car and take a short walk to the Sovereign Hill Entrance.
18. Is 'Christmas in July: Winter Wonderlights' an accessible event?
19. Are there any measures in place for lost children?
Sovereign Hill offers wristbands at the ticket box. Parents and guardians of children write contact details on the band. In the event of separation, Sovereign Hill costumed staff will assist.
20. Can I have dinner at Sovereign Hill during 'Christmas in July: Winter Wonderlights'?
Yes! A 'Christmas in July' dinner is available each evening. Bookings are essential and can be made online when purchasing your ticket. Book now. There is also a À la carte offering in the Charlie Napier Hotel from
3 pm until 7 pm (walk-up only).
21. What food options are available during 'Christmas in July: Winter Wonderlights'?
Sovereign Hill has hotels, restaurants and street stalls offering a traditional dining experience in unique Victorian settings. We also offer contemporary, café-style and take-away food served in a relaxed atmosphere. All our venues are fully-licensed.
Visit our website closer to the event for more details.
22. I want to stay overnight. Is there somewhere close by?
Sovereign Hill's own Hotel is conveniently located on-site. The hotel has a variety of offerings to suit your requirements. For bookings and enquiries, please call 03 5337 1199 or email email@example.com. Sovereign Hill Hotel has free, off-street parking for guests.
23. Sovereign Hill Hotel check-in is listed as 2.00 pm. Can I visit Sovereign Hill earlier?
Absolutely! If you have booked accommodation, you are more than welcome to arrive any time after 10.00 am to start exploring Sovereign Hill. Let the Sovereign Hotel Reception staff know you have arrived, and they will give you access to Sovereign Hill for the day. You can then return to check into your rooms later that afternoon.
After a full day of exploring, hotel guests are welcome to return to their rooms to relax before using their exclusive entrance to re-enter Sovereign Hill and see the 'Winter Wonderlights' and/or ‘AURA’.
24. What are the opening hours for the retail shops during the event?
Please see below opening times for our retail shops during Winter Wonderlights.
|Open 10.00 am - 7.00 pm||Open 10.00 am - 5.00 pm|
|Entrance Shop||Red Hill Photographers|
|Bowling Alley||Gold Pour|
|Criterion Store||Times Office|
|Candle Makers||Gift Shop|
|Market Stalls are open 12 noon - 7.00 pm|